Monday, March 21, 2011

co-op project Magic Pen

In this project I designed a 3d pen that emits ink.
For the pen I used a cylinder and just manipulated the vertexes and using a back images to help model out the pen.
The ink was the hardest part. For that I made a water emitter and placed it on the tip of the pen. Then I need to fix the direction that it was being emitted and make an object that it could collide with to make it go in one direction.That object is hidden in the pen.Then I changed the attributes of the emitter to look more like ink. Then I made a paper that the ink could hit. I have two different versions of it that I use in the video and combined in afteraffects.

Blake Green
Surprise! I was recruited to a SECOND project. In this project there was a magic pen. There were two people in this group, Corina and Nuru, and Nuru is kind of NU (hahaha get it?) to the class and the software, so it was going a bit slow or something. Whatever the reason was, I was asked to help with their project and animate a pen that writes without someone moving it. There is a layout in photoshop similar to After Effects, where there is a timeline, and layers can be sequenced to create frame animation. I turned off the visibility of every layer, so that everything would move faster, and I clicked "Make frames from layers" and photoshop automatically sequenced each one into a frame animation, where each layer was a different frame. There were a LOT of layers, so it took a long time. I then animated the pen, which was an OBJ file that allowed it to be manipulated in photoshop like a 3D object, so that the erased bits reappeared as the pen moved over that section of the poem.